Last week, Pinterest and Tailwind had a ‘live’ session on Facebook and updated us with the latest Pinterest best practices 2020.
I know how important Pinterest is to many bloggers to grow their blog traffic for free.
In order to make sure you are at the top of your Pinterest game, do take note of these updated Pinterest best practices 2020 here!
Pinterest For Bloggers: Pinterest Best Practices 2020
5 things you need to do to grow your Pinterest traffic
1. Make sure all your pins are linked to landing pages or posts that make the most sense. In other words, the content on your pin should be relevant to the content that the pin is linked to.
This point seems pretty “duh” but I think they pointed this out to remind content creators to always have relevant pins and not just something clickbaity.
2. Add Pinterest save buttons to your site to help content be shared easily.
3. Claim your domain on your Pinterest profile.
4. Keep your Pinterest profile fresh, updated, and make sure your content is interesting and inspires others to follow you.
5. Create new content every week. If you want to get in front of your audience, you need to supply them with a steady stream of fresh content.
Saves of existing pins will still receive distribution on Pinterest but fresh content will bring about a greater reach.
5 dimensions that make a pin inspiring
Pinterest said that inspiring pin content should have 5 dimensions.
In fact, the best-performing pins on Pinterest usually have at least 2 out of these 5 dimensions.
1. Novel — Your content should have a unique spin to it so that it can be differentiated from everyone else’s.
2. Attainable — Your content should be created for a diverse audience.
3. Visually appealing — Yout pin should have a compelling image, use type sparingly, and keep your branding subtle. The hero of your pin should be the image.
4. Positive — The most popular pins have inspiring content that is uplifting. There’s a reason why Pinterest is called a ‘happy place’ unlike any social media platform!
5. Actionable — The best pins inspire people to take action, try something new with actionable tips and details on how to bring the inspiration to life.
5 Important tips to improve your pins and increase Pinterest traffic
1. Always make sure to include a pin title and pin description to make sure your pin is searchable.
The pin title and descriptions should be relevant and concise.
Ensure that the most important information appears in the first 50 to 60 characters in your pin description because these are the words that will appear in the Pinterest feed.
2. Improve pin images by using custom photography (ie paid stock photography)
3. Follow Pinterest trend reports to know what people are searching for and create related pins to cater to popular search terms.
4. Post original content specifically created for Pinterest instead of just using other social media images. In other words, make sure your pins are long and vertical. Don’t just grab a banner that fits Facebook and pin it on Pinterest.
Tips on how to increase blog traffic with Pinterest’s growing seasonal traffic
For example, with the back to school season is in September, you should start pinning 2 to 3 months before in order to capture the audience starts searching for related back to school content from July onwards.
Therefore, in order to bank on the growing seasonal traffic, start pinning relevant content 2 to 3 months ahead of the occasion and continue to pin fresh related content up to the occasion.
Tips on creating video pins for Pinterest
Video pins are also growing in popularity so it’s probably something you want to try creating, too!
In order to capture the Pinterest user’s attention in just 2 to 3 seconds as they scroll through their feed, you have to make sure that the video captures the user’s attention quickly.
Quick movements in a video pin, such as moving presentation slides, will allow you to catch the user’s attention.
You can try using Pixaloop, a mobile app that creates animation with still images.
As a recap, a “fresh pin” is a pin with a new image on Pinterest.
If you take an old pin and animate it, it will be considered a fresh pin.
However, you’d want to make sure that the changes you make to the pin are actually significant enough to increase the chances of capturing your audience’s attention.
10 Free Canva Pin Templates
After learning about the updated Pinterest best practices, all I want to do is create new pins!!
I know you’d want to do the same and I’d like to help you too!
Therefore, here are 10 free fully customizable, drag-and-drop Canva Pinterest templates for you!
Simply sign up here or click on the banner below to get instant access to these awesome pin templates that will save you hours in creating pins!
You will also be interested in: